Sunday 9 January 2011

Technical Hitch

One of my little promises to myself for 2011 was to blog regularly. Not just dip in and skim read every time I waltzed past the computer, but to spend a chunk of time once or twice a week doing a post and catching up with bloggers and reading their posts. This being possible because I have stopped my supply work and SmallerBean is going to preschool Four Mornings a Week starting Tomorrow!!! This is the first regular me time I will have had since the arrival of Small, six and a half years ago. And by this, I mean only me in the house. No children, no husband and no builders. Of course I will have rather a lot to do but I will not be interrupted constantly with requests for dressing Puppy, making drinks, sorting out squabbles and answering endless 'Why?' questions.

However. There is a problem. Over the hols our computer suffered a major illness. He (it must be a he) has been operated on and talked to and sworn at and taken to bits and reassembled but to no avail. We have lost everything from the end of August til now. BigBean is slowly managing to get a few things back but all our amazing photos from Scotland at half term have, pouf, vanished. All my emails and favourites, pouf, gone. All my supply work; newsletters, planning and records, pouf, disparru. Puff of smoke and finished.

And we are not out of the woods yet. We dare not put anything back on to the hard drive Just In Case. So I cannot upload photos (and I really really want to see our Christmas photos) and so I am reluctant to post a post. A post without a pic or two is not quite as interesting as one with some eye candy. Do you agree?

I have been given an award from Andrea, over at Fin and Gabs, (thank you lovely lady) but cannot get it onto the sidebar. I have new sparkliness that I want to show and tell. I want to keep my promise to myself about blogging. But NO NO NO! Bloody technology is not playing the same rules as me.

Normal service will (hopefully) be resumed soon. Until then, I'm back to dipping and skimming.

14 comments:

  1. Bummer! Don't you just love computers?!
    Still, enjoy your 'me time' - and see how quickly those 3 hours whizz by!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grrrr, poor you how frustrating! Hope the pc is well again soon, and enjoy the few hours of peace and quiet you have now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can sympathise on the computer front. We've had problems with our computer and it is still terribly slooooooooooooooow. V. frustrating. So sorry you lost photos. Hope you get this technical hitch sorted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if this will help or not, but the same thing happened to me three years ago - I lost a lot of photos and work but once the computer was working again I ran a programme called Recover My Files and - after leaving it running on the computer for a couple of days to do a deep search - it retrieved everything I had lost. A few documents and photos were too corrupt so I did end up losing a few bits, but the programme was fab and recovered 95 maybe 97% of what I lost - thank goodness! I back up more regualrly now! Good luck with it.

    I do have a copy of the recovery programme and I could try emailing it to you if you want it, just let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh what a pain. Louise's comment sounds promising though, hope that might work for you. and any photos you put on your blog will be safe, you can get to them through picassa.

    enjoy your free time. I recommend a pot of tea a slice of cake and a good book, and don't EVEN think about doing any housework! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't you just love technology! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a bummer! You can take it to someone as there is a software that can retrieve lost data, we had it done to our pc but as it had been dropped it was unretrievable as it cracked the hard drive :-(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nightmare!! and what a shame just when you have time too! Typical! Still at least you have something to look forward to once it is fixed, you will be able to do a mega post!! It is actually quite nice to just read a post. Enjoy your quiet time,
    Andrea x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to hear about your computer woes. It's a love them or hate them situation. A lovely blog you have here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know what you mean, ours did that one year too, which reminds me, I haven't backed up in ages... A job for tonight I think! Hope you get it fixed soon! :)x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi

    just a note to let you know the PIF arrived! Purple is one of my favourite colours, the earrings are gorgeous! I'm really sad to say that I can't wear dangly earrings at all (perhaps I should have thought to say before, but never mind!) They are beautfiul stones so if I can't wear them as earrings I will wear them somehow!

    Thank you so much for sending them! I had better start thinking about my PIF now, I have no idea what to do!

    Thanks again,

    Louise

    oh, almost forgot to ask - do you remember what the stones are in the earrings?! Just curious because they are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a nuisance about your computer! At least all the pictures on your blog won't be lost though will they? I've got loads of photo albums but they seem to peter out these days now that I blog and Facebook instead! I hope you get yours sorted soon.:) xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Magic Bean! It's nice to meet you ... Please feel free to join in the Scavenger Hunt ... I can't believe this has taken off so well!!!
    Commiserations with your computer troubles... we've just had to invest in a new laptop after the old one behaved so badly for about a year. I'm still trying to get all my photos from one machine to the next!
    Look forward to seeing your photos.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a downer - any news on the technology front? WHat about the cup of tea front?

    ReplyDelete